Saturday, August 14, 2010

We Are Virginia Tech

I know that it seems like the only thing I do is visit college campuses ... but this one might be my favorite. I attend the Virginia Tech singles ward, because Tech is only about 35 minutes from where I'm living. Everything about the campus is impressive. It's located in the city of Blacksburg, which surprisingly is not THAT huge. I was expecting something similar to Provo, since Tech has about the same number of students as BYU. The town is kind of out in the middle of nowhere, but it's BEAUTIFUL. Right before you hit the sports complex you drive past fields of corn and pasture. And you will know when you're in Hokie Country, because almost every car has a decal on the back of it in support of Virginia Tech. I love it. My next goal is to attend a game at Hokie Stadium. This bucket list just keeps getting longer and longer.

This is what you see when you first come up on campus. What more do you need?

Outside their football stadium.

I want to watch my Granty play here one day.

This is where the magic happens. This stadium holds like 66,000 fans.

From when they won the Orange Bowl in 2009 against Cincinnati.

This is the memorial on campus that honors the 32 students and teachers that were killed in the 2007 shooting.

One of the buildings on campus.

This is in the entrance to campus. Soooo sweet.

The commons area on campus.

The schools official name: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Such a mouthful. That's why the locals just call it Tech.

The administration building

Main street in Blacksburg

I came upon this restaurant in Blacksburg when I visited for the first time. I obviously had to stop in for lunch.

Anyone who knows me knows that I take issue with people that name their dog Abby. I come across it more than you think. After talking with the waitress for a while, I soon found that the place was named after their yellow lab Abby, who passed away a couple of years ago.
What. A. Killjoy.

Yeah baby. I need this sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment