Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Great Lewa-vule Kentucky

I can't tell you how much I love this city. I've passed through it before, but I never give it a second thought. On our visit I found that Louisville has a very rich culture. And I don't just mean high-rolling aristocrats sippin' mint julep (although there are many). The town has gorgeous homes that have lasted decades. It has beautiful brick buildings filled with museums and restaurants. It was neat to drive around and watch people sitting and talking on their porch. We first made our way to the Louisville Slugger Museum. I have to admit that it was to hard to walk through this place without my little brother Grant ... but we did it. All I could think of was how much he would love it. Morg and Riles hit at the batting cages there, and Morgan was able to hit with a Louisville Slugger Ken Griffey Jr. bat (same size and length as Griffey). It was off the chain. A baseball fan's paradise.


Hugging the HUGE Louisville Slugger bat at the museum.

Morg and Riles livin' the dream.

Taking some cuts.

Massive mitt.


I was striking someone out in this pic (if you couldn't tell).

After the museum we went and checked out Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. Luckily, they were holding races that day and we were able to observe. I will say that Churchill Downs is one of the most amazing edifices in the United States. There ... I said it. We sat in box seats and watched others smoke their cigars and place their bets. The place was filled with women in sun dresses and big hats and men with cream blazers and Sperry Topsiders. We were there to watch the horses, and everyone else was there to make money :) To get into the mood, we even acted like our horse had won and that we had made a lot of money. We were freaking out ... giving cheers and high fives all around. Good times.

Shot from our box.

Locals (posers).

Actual locals.

Benches in front of the horse stalls.


Riley was in heaven. Morgan was an aristocrat.

Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets.

The real action.

"I do declare, Mr. Beauregard ..."

Those hats were selling for $600-$700 bones.

Front of the track.




3 comments:

  1. How could you even show your face at the races without your $500 hat...such a shame...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your pictures do such a great job of story telling your adventures! I love them all! Can't wait to go up to Pulaski! Rich and I are thinking about maybe heading up next week to catch the opening game? ! We'll talk soon!

    We just read your article on the home page of the Mariners! How cool is that!

    By the way we miss you... especially Sister Suzie:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it. dang, my co-worker is a lewavul native and so into the derby. the most i did there was drive through and think of her...

    ReplyDelete